Smiling exudes confidence because it reflects happiness and spontaneity. Unfortunately, it can have the opposite effect on some, who are so embarrassed by the way their teeth look that they…[...]
ALL ABOUT DENTAL CROWNS
Proper oral hygiene is important not only for aesthetic reasons, but also to maintain your overall oral health. At Carrefour Dentaire Montreal, there’s nothing we cherish more than our patients’ smiles, which is why we strive to offer the best possible service and treatment. In this article, we will explain the importance of dental crowns and which situations require this type of care.
Are dental crowns actually useful?
The idea behind a dental crown is simple: to cover a damaged, broken, or decaying tooth in order to preserve its usefulness and prolong its lifespan. Crowns maintain both the appearance and overall function of the living tooth. As opposed to a prosthetic tooth, which replaces the natural tooth entirely, a crown is the visible part of the tooth above the gum line. Since an unhealthy tooth can also damage the surrounding teeth, it’s important to react quickly in order to prevent harm. At Carrefour Dentaire Montreal, our goal is to guide and support you throughout your dental care journey while providing the best possible experience.
Different types of crowns adapted to your needs
Different types of crowns are made using different materials – typically metal, ceramic, or porcelain. The best option will vary based on the individual, taking into account the price, the repairs that must be done, and the patient’s aesthetic preferences. Your dentist will be able to give you more details and recommendations when it’s time to decide which dental crown is right for you.
These are the most common types of dental crowns:
- Ceramic-metallic crowns, as evidenced by their name, are made of metal and covered in ceramic. This type is generally used for teeth located at the back of the mouth, i.e. molars and premolars. It is one of the most common options due to its natural appearance and durability, although its metallic base may become visible over the years if the gum recedes.
- Our patients usually prefer porcelain crowns because they blend in well with natural teeth. This option is generally suggested for teeth located at the front of the mouth, like canines and incisors.
- Zirconium crowns are also highly sought-after thanks to their aesthetic qualities. These translucent crowns are also very effective, as they are resistant to infection.
- A temporary crown will be placed by your dentist while your permanent crown is being made. It allows to protect the tooth from pain as well as to avoid discomfort while eating before your permanent crown can be placed. These crowns are typically made of acrylic or stainless steel.
- Composite crowns tend to be more delicate and stain more quickly than other materials. However, patients appreciate them for their natural appearance.
- Since they are made of gold, metallic crowns are used very infrequently – though they are very robust and effective. Their unnatural appearance makes them less desirable, and they are used on teeth at the back of the mouth for this reason.
How it works
During your first appointment, the dentist will examine the affected tooth to understand whether it’s necessary to place a crown. They will also deep clean the tooth to remove any cavities or damage. Then, the dentist will create a detailed mold of the tooth in order to create the permanent crown. Some specialists prefer to use a laboratory to complete the design. While you’re waiting for the finished product, your dentist will place a temporary crown.
When it’s time to remove the temporary crown, the dentist will verify that your permanent crown fits properly. If everything looks good, all that’s left to do is place the crown with dental cement.
Advantages of dental crowns
The most important consideration when placing a dental crown is for it to blend in perfectly with the surrounding teeth. It’s no wonder so many patients end up choosing this option – it creates a very natural-looking solution, and therefore, a radiant smile!
By placing a temporary crown for a few weeks, your dentist can maximize your comfort while you wait for your permanent fix.
Permanent dental crowns come with another major advantage: they last for a very long time. The quality of the materials and the patient’s oral health are especially important in determining a crown’s lifespan, which can vary between 10 and 20 years. That means you won’t have to worry about ongoing or frequent procedures once it’s placed.
Great service, great prices
The price of a given procedure is evaluated based on the type of dental crown and any preparatory treatments required before it can be placed (root canal, filling, etc.). No two patients are the same, which is why Carrefour Dentaire Montreal offers personalized treatment plans that are tailored to your personal situation. Financing is also available.
Visit our website and contact us for more information. Our team will be happy to assist you. https://www.carrefourdentaire.com/soins-dentaires/couronne-dentaire/